Illegal “Fake” Botox
At Mystique Medical Spa you can be assured of two very important Botox® Cosmetic procedures:
- We hire only licensed, highly trained and experienced aesthetic nurses to administer the injections.
- We only use FDA approved Botox® and we ALWAYS use the prescribed dosage and dilution for the best results.
Illegal or Fake Botox® Does Exist!
In November 2012 the FDA sent letters to doctors saying that the FDA had received information that their office may have been selling unapproved Botox® from a foreign supplier.
Click here to read the information and a copy of the letter that the FDA sent to doctors.
Click here to see the list of Fresno offices that received the letter.
How to tell if you’re getting illegal Botox®
- Your results do not last as long as expected. The subtle, youthful-looking affects from Botox® Cosmetic depend on the person but generally the injections should last 3-4 months. If your results last less than that, then it is possible that the Botox® Cosmetic was over-diluted.
- Price. Like every business there is competition and products are advertised at discounted prices to increase sales. But, when a price is ‘too good to be true’ or the provider is always advertising a very low price for instance $7, you should be concerned. The physician may be purchasing Botox® online from a foreign country at a steeply discounted cost, or the Botox® could be over-diluted, which means the effects will not last as long and you will need additional procedures sooner.
- Go to: www.Rxpadpharmacy.com. This is a company in Canada with a disclaimer at the bottom of their website that says it is illegal to purchase products from them for use in the US. This is the company that some physicians in town are purchasing their Botox® from at a discounted rate, completely disregarding the law and their patient’s safety with no guarantee that they are actually getting legitimate Botox®.
Does it surprise you that other facilities might be using “illegal” Botox® and not following the FDA guidelines? It should!
You should know that the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) maintain that is it illegal for physicians and consumers to purchase FDA approved drugs from foreign countries since it is impossible to verify if the drug is counterfeit, contaminated, outdated, diluted, degraded, or improperly packaged and labeled. One of the primary sources to purchase from foreign countries is online pharmacies. While the FDA maintains a task force to mitigate this illegal activity, they also warn consumers to do their due diligence when choosing a provider and that products purchased from foreign sources may be counterfeit.
Click here to learn more about the FDA’s Resources for Consumers.
What you need to know about Botox® Cosmetic
Botox® Cosmetic is the leading injectable and for good reason. It is safe, FDA approved, and provides real, immediate results with no surgery and no down time. In fact, more than 11 million men and women have used Botox® Cosmetic for wrinkle reduction and younger, healthier looking skin.
We hope that you find this information helpful. If you have any questions about Botox®, injectables, fillers, or any cosmetic procedure please contact our office for a personal consultation at 559-447-LASER (5273).